Monday, November 15, 2010
Stuffed Swiss Chard? Who knew!
It is starting to get cold in my neck if the woods and I love making hearty and healthy dishes! This one I came up with after purchasing some amazing Organic Swiss Chard from Whole Foods!
Swiss Chard Stuffed with Turkey Sausage, Peppers and Wild Brown Rice...
4/6 Organic Swiss Chard leaves (discard stems)
1 cup of brown rice
Smoked Turkey sausage links or Tofurky for my Vegans!
Medium Green Pepper
Medium Red Pepper (optional)
Small Red Onion
2 cups of Organic Vegetable Stock
3 whole Organic Carrots
1 tsp Raw Honey or Firm Tofu
Shredded cheeses (optional)
Sea salt or Pink Himalayan Salt
Boil 1 cup of vegetable stock and 1 cup of water -- or 2 cups of vegetable stock, depending on your taste preference. Add brown rice, rosemary, pepper, dash of sea salt. Cook on low for apx. 40 minutes.
1. In a medium pan, over medium heat, cook turkey sausage with a little vegetable stock until cooked thoroughly.
2. In a separate pan, saute onion and peppers with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.
3. In a large stock pot, bring water to an almost boil and add Swiss Chard leaves for apx. 3-5 minutes or until soft. Remove from water and pat dry. Set aside.
4. COMBINE-- Rice, Peppers and Onions and Turkey Sausage or Tofurky in a bowl so it is evenly distributed. Add tablespoon of Honey and stir. NOTE: If you are vegan, instead of the honey, you can add firm tofu.
5. Take a Swiss Chard leaf and lay flat and place a heaping of the filling below the center of the leaf. Roll the leave until the end. Repeat this process for each leaf.
6. Top with cheese, optional.
BAKE on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remember: Lots of Love while you are cooking!
I will post pics soon of my final masterpiece soon! :)
Posted by RoseofSharron at 12:48 AM